Monday, 11 January 2016

Hop, Skip and a Jump to a New Year


Happy New Year!

I'm so sick of saying that. It seems especially odd saying it a few days after January 1st.

The decorations are down, the 'naughty' food is finished and my boy is back at school.

I must admit, I am missing my boy. He is a great chatter. I wonder how he can breathe sometimes! His speech knows no punctuation. His little brain just needs to get it out there as quickly as possible. Who cares if it doesn't make sense?

We were all longing for the weekend after our first week back to reality.

I have decided we don't go outside and play enough in the winter (a wise choice, I have previously felt) One resolution is to get out, based on the fact that we do not have the wrong weather in this country, just the wrong clothes.

After school, we are managing to catch the last hour of light. I wanted to do something with my bouncy, chatty boy that we don't normally do. Skipping! I told of days gone by, when mummy would skip for hours with her friends. This seemed to ignite a spark in him. I tied a long piece of rope to his swing and proceeded to circle it around and around and around and around ...

Now, I have to say, I had not factored in that I am not seven anymore. My boredom threshold for skipping is somewhat lower now. It also takes less time for my arm to ache. However, once my little cutie pie realised it was a challenge where he could count and beat his personal best, it was game on. He is currently up to 20 skips in one go. His favourite programme is Ninja Warrior UK so this may tell you quite a bit about his competitive streak. It's good to be competitive, but he needs to also learn that when his mum is wilting it's time to stop.

I'm torn between spoiling the fun I invented in the first place (note to self: please think all ideas through before making suggestions) and going with it. It is lovely to see how happy he is when he believes he is winning at something.

In contrast, his losing face is something quite different. A game of Snap can turn into tears, stomping and folded arms quite quickly ... and that's just me! Of course, I'm joking. I don't stomp. I'm afraid to say I may have encouraged his competitive side when we played I Spy on a walk home from school. When he challenged me with a particularly tricky one and then asked if I gave up, I replied, "Never surrender!" Maybe I went too far.

Can you remember the last time you skipped?






.


2 comments:

  1. Lovely to hear your thoughts as always. Xx I don't skip. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only skip skipping. Glad you enjoyed the post. xx

    ReplyDelete